Determination of freshness is performed by measuring of the well-known nucleotide freshness indices Ki, Fr, H with possible extrapolation to the other indices K, P, Q – all they are good for early spoilage prevention in difference to some “already spoiled” indicators.
The method is based on principle of the combined Fast Protein Nucleotides Liquid Chromatography (FPNLC). Method and device are prepared for a patent, now it is know-how of AS Ldiamon. The device was calibrated by means of liquid chromatography, mass-spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance methods.
The following tests and assessments can be performed with the device:
- Warning or confirmation of delivery to a consumer of low quality, beginning to spoil or spoiled foodstuffs;
- Control whether fish or meat were frozen rapidly with preservation of absolutely fresh status or not;
- Device helps also to prevent too early rejection of good-to-eat foodstuffs – a very acute problem in Europe;
- Helps to find out fish or meat of freshness suitable for high cuisine, for rich in Inosine monophosphate (IMP) umami dishes, etc.;
- Determine residual shelf time for fish and meat with non-absolute freshness;
- Use of device substantiates instrumentally taste tests performed by the sensory teams and minimises the risk of errors;
- Total protein determination can allow to assess also freshness of vegetables and fruits;
- The method and device can be useful in research work on the freshness recover phenomena in temperature-processed meat (see also below).
- The device can be used for tutorial purposes for students in the classes on food quality control.
Device specification. The device operates in on-line mode being connected to a PC. It receives power from the PC and can function “in the field”. Dimensions of the device: 90x80x330 (height) mm, weight: 0.23 kg. No hazardous chemicals are used in the course of its operation, the instrument is absolutely friendly to environment. It can be used not only in a laboratory but also by every person with use of the attached manual. One test procedure duration is 10 -15 minutes.